ECF Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Junior Ambassador Programme
Sau Ming Marissa Tse
From March 4 to July 8, 2017
Local Primary School students (Primary 4 to Primary 6) or International School students (Grade 4 to Grade 6)
Target avg age
Sustainable Development Goal
Education and Economic Empowerment
Adopted by the United Nations (UN) in 2015, the SDGs is a universal call to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure all people enjoy peace and prosperity.
The Competition aims to:
1. Provide an opportunity for students to generate innovative and practical ideas for promoting SDGs in Hong Kong with an Environmental Theme, focusing on SDG 6 (Clean Water and Sanitation), SDG 7 (Affordable and Clean Energy), SDG 13 (Climate Action), SDG 14 (Life below Water) and SDG 15 (Life on Land) and educating the community to create a greener lifestyle;
2. Gain practical and hands-on experiences through the Day Camp and Site Visits;
3. Fulfill students' Other Learning Experiences (OLE) or Life-wide Learning (LWL) experiences.
The programme successfully shortlisted over 60 students from 15 local/international schools to engage in activities such as visiting the Jockey Club Museum of Climate Change and Mai Po Nature Reserve in late March and early April, respectively, as well as implementing SDG promotion plans using creative and engaging ways in schools or communities by the participating student groups.
With 5 teams successfully invited to the final round, their ideas were presented at the Award Presentation cum Closing Ceremony, to distinguished guests including Professor Leung Wing-mo, Former Assistant Director of Hong Kong Observatory, Ms Skye Chan and Miss Celine Yeung, Dr William Yu, CEO of World Green Organisation, as well as Big Waster and Hanson.
1. JCI Hong Kong Jayceettes President, Ms Do Do So
2. JCI Hong Kong Acting National President, Mr Zenith Lin
3. Hong Kong Red Swastika Society, Mr Timmy Yam
4. UNESCO Hong Kong Association, Dr Angela Cheung MBE, JP
5. Friends of the Earth Hong Kong, Dr Alfred Cheung
6. Business Environment Council, Ir CF Leung
7. Chinachem Group, Ms Winnie Ma
1. Funding Organizations - Environment and Conservation Fund; Environmental Campaign Committee
2. Gold Sponsor - Hong Kong Red Swastika Society
3. Bronze Sponsor - The Israeli Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
4. Strategic Partner - UNESCO Hong Kong Association
5. Sponsor Organizations - HKJC Foundation and JCI Hong Kong Jayceettes Trust Fund
We were proud to have also over 22 local and overseas Supporting Organizations (list below) that helped us to promote the programme. We were also proud to have spread the word of SDGs in the public through different publicity channels across Hong Kong from print to broadcast media to advertisements in over 81 MTR stations and Star Ferry.
After four months of full dedication of the OC team, SDG Junior Ambassador Programme 2017 was kicked off on 4 March. With over 150 guests in attendance, President Do Do pointed out the project aims to echo with United Nations’ initiatives,and to build connections between students and the global policies by promoting SDGs and greener lifestyle in the community. The project focuses on the 5 SDGs relating to environmental issues, and has received tremendous support from over 25 local and overseas organizations as well as great exposure on social and local media!